Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Getaway to Torreon-Vernon-Springerville

Being retired is fun! Steve and I decided on the spur of the moment to take a trip to the cabin in Show Low. We left Sunday afternoon and drove the 3 hours. We like to stop in Payson and eat at Macky's Grill. They have delicious hamburgers and we all know that is Steve's favorite dish!

Monday we went for a drive up through Vernon and Springerville. We came back "over the mountain" as the locals say to Show Low, a very scenic drive.

We were driving through Vernon just for fun and we saw an interesting area to our left. We weren't sure what we were looking for. From the road we thought it might be a cemetery. There was a gentleman watering so we stopped and started a conversation. His last name is Applegate and the 3 1/2 acres we were looking at belonged to him. It was his yard. What made it so interesting was he had all these little areas divided by a corner of a white picket fence. These were filled with statues,figurines,bird cages,fountains and flowers. I was just so intrigued that I had to ask if I could take some pictures. He agreed but he did follow me around conversing. i would have taken more but I didn't want to intrude.

We had a great time. Enjoy the pictures!

The above birdhouse was my favorite. Steve was having a hard time figuring out why they had so many birdhouses sitting around with no birds.



The above picture is actually the Gunsmoke town made out of bird houses! It is awesome in color but I wanted to try the sepia since it is an old western town. LOL!
After we left Mr. Applegate's we saw a few young elk grazing on some lush grass.
If you double click on the pic you can see the elk better.

1 comment:

Ina said...

What a fun drive. I miss our drives. I told George the other day that we needed to do one. These are really fun pictures, so many different tyles of bird cages.