Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Phoenix Zoo Days

Volunteering at the Phoenix Zoo is one of the joys in my life.  I took these pictures in September of 2014  upon returning to the Zoo after my summer hiatus. 

The first picture is of Kitambi our male African lion who just happens to be me favorite animal at the zoo. He is about 4 years old in this photo and magnificent!

The next pictures are of McCleod our male Komodo dragon. I just happened to be at his enclosure when he decided to go for a brief swim.  It was a warm Arizona September day.

There is such beautiful vegetation on the Zoo grounds I snapped a picture of some flowers and the last picture is of our Andean bears, Rio and her cub Luka. I had such a good time watching Luka play in the water on this day and then move off to their favorite tree.  He is such a character and fun to watch. Luka will be leaving the Phoenix Zoo soon for the Dallas Zoo. He has reached sexual maturity and they will be pairing him with a female bear around the same age.  Luka,this female and her sister have been the only live births of Andean bears in captivity in the last three years.  Even though we will miss Luka and his antics it is important to give him the opportunity to breed as this bear is extremely endangered. The Dallas Zoo is building a wonderful new Andean bear exhibit. As soon as it is completed Luka will be leaving us. Then Rio and Luka's father Rosario will at times be on exhibit together and wouldn't it be wonderful if we had another Andean bear born at the Phoenix Zoo!













1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kitambi is a crowd pleaser and is also my favorite Phoenix Zoo animal, although it is almost impossible to pick a favorite. Luka has certainly been a favorite and I am so sad to see him leave us. He has been a job to watch He will be happy in Dallas, I am sure, and we will hope for another cub.