Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Phoenix Zoo

My mom,Ina Wimsatt,has been a volunteer at the Phoenix Zoo for over 20 years.
When she started at the Zoo the volunteer program was very different from today.
Lets just say that her education and knowledge and interaction with the animals and the public
was far more substantial than today. My mother loves the Zoo and thanks to her so do I and
so do my children and my grandchildren. 

I had often thought how nice it would be to volunteer at the Zoo when I retired. 
In November 2011 that is just what I did and now one morning a week I volunteer at the Phoenix Zoo. 
What makes it really special is that my mother and I work the same shift together. I love
spending time with her and she has taught me so much about the animals at the Zoo so that I
am able to answer the patrons questions.We finish our shift with lunch at the Zoo.

These are just a few of the pictures I will be posting over time.
The Mexican Grey Wolf,extinct in the wild in the United States. 

Not a close up but I liked this picture of a couple of our giraffe.

The beautiful Golden Eagle. One of the most impressive predators.

Our Sumatran Tiger. One of only two cats that enjoys being in the water.

My favorite animal at the zoo right now, our new 2 year old african lion,Kitambi.
He is majestic and already very large. His mane grows for the first 5 years. It will be fun to watch him mature. 

Half Ear the rhino recently lost her friend. They had been together in captivity for 41 years!
She seems to be doing well,better than expected.

He ain't dead yet! This is Al (I think,mom can correct me). He is the patriarch of the
baboons and elderly. On this day he was sunning himself on a chilly morning.
Doesn't look like he has a care in the world.

Can you find the cheetah?

  
Fun picture of our new Dalmation Pelicans. They are the largest pelican.
Pelican #5 is quite a character. He likes to wander the Zoo alone and
interacts with the public! Harmless and fun.

2 comments:

The Monrreal's said...

Love the pictures of the animals. I know you'll love being at the zoo just as much as Grandma has. :)

Ina said...

Wow, Rhonda! You have posted some great pictures of our animals. A highlight of my week is our zoo day. It is so much fun to be able to do it together. It makes it even more special. Lunch after our shift where we can watch the animals on the beautiful Savannah, is definitely a happy perk.