Sunday, November 6, 2011

Granny's Mustard Pickle



What a fun experience we have had! My Granny,Lois Wadsworth, was many things all of them wonderful! She was known far and wide for her superior cooking. There are so many things my Granny cooked that I personally adored such as pies,cinnamon rolls,chocolate cake with cherry frosting,chicken noodle soup with her homemade noodles,bread (to die for) and tuffies from the bread dough,donuts,the veggies straight from her garden(you could have corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes from the garden for breakfast and I always thought that was so cool) and I could go on and on and on. One of my all time favorites was mustard pickle.

My parents grew a garden when they lived in Descanso and they did a lot of canning at that time. They used to can Granny's chili sauce and mustard pickles from the veggies they grew. As a result even after my Granny passed away we still enjoyed her recipes. Recently we were talking about mustard pickle and we decided we would can some. Trey and Jenna were very interested also. All through the summer we looked for pickling cucumbers with no success. Finally Jenna found some and my parents ran right out and had to fight for the last 16 pounds at the farmers market! You go Mom! My folks gathered all the ingredients together, I got the jars and we assembled together at our home with Trey and Jenna to can our mustard pickle with Granny's recipe.

We made three batches yielding 11 pints each. Not only do they look so beautiful they taste just like Granny's! It was fun being together canning our mustard pickles. I couldn't help but reminisce about wonderful childhood memories spent in the kitchen with my parents and my Granny. Priceless!

3 comments:

The Monrreal's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Monrreal's said...

Sounds like an amazing time spent with the family. Sometimes it's the smallest things that mean SO much. I do have to admit however, that I would not be a fan of Pickled Mustard as I do not like pickles and I am not big on mustard, but I know Grandma and Granddad like both as does my dad. It must be a Wimsatt thing. Fun times, good memories! (So I had to delete my last comment, so embarrassing all the typing errors.)

Ina said...

Rhonda, rhis is one of my favorite posts. It brings back so many wonderful memories. I think, for me ,and my siblings, mother's mustard pickle on a piece of toast from her amazing bread, was one of our favorite things to eat. I was so happy yesterday as we were canning our mustard pickle from her recipe, preserving tradition as three genertions, me, you and Trey, had fun doing this together. Actually, four generations as our adorable little Montana was very much a presence throughout the process. I am glad Jenna went produce shopping at the opportune time to spy the pickling cukes. George drove miles to find the rest of the ingredients. Steve's interest in the whole process was fun. Trey and Jenna bringing their canning box/crate, was impressive. I just might eat some this morning! Yep, it was a fun day. Wow! I guess I should post this comment as a post, itself, it has gone way beyond the "comment" category.